THH August Newsletter
- Posted on: Aug 14 2019
MONTHLY BUILDING BLOCKS
Back to School
● Schedule your back-to- school check ups !
Back To School –
Easing Into the
● Establish a routine 1 week prior to starting school
○ Sleep/wake schedule
○ Connect with friends
● Get your school supplies
● Plan your child’s meals
○ Eat the rainbow foods
■ Variety of fruits/veggies
● Discuss transportation with your
○ School Bus Safety
○ Bike Safety
○ Car Safety
○ Walking to School Safety
● Tour the school
● Meet your teachers at orientation
● Get your backpack
○ One with wide, padded
shoulder straps and a padded
○ Pack light. The backpack should never weigh more
than 10% to 20% of your child’s body weight. Go
through the pack with your child weekly, and remove
unneeded items to keep it light
○ Remind your child to always use both shoulder straps.
○ Adjust the pack so that the bottom sits at your child’s waist.
○ Consider a rolling backpack.
● Talk with the teachers for any requests, about 504 plans or special needs
● Don’t recommend completing summer packets at the end of the
summer to avoid increasing a child’s anxiety
● Recommended amount of sleep
○ 4-12m – 12-16 hours
○ 1-2 yo – 11-14 hours
○ 3-5 yo – 10-13 hours
○ 6-12 yo – 9-12 hours
○ 13-18 yo 8-10 hours
● Sleep is critical for concentration and learning
● Set a consistent bedtime
● Calming pre-bedtime routine may involve a bath/shower, reading with
them, and tucking them in and saying good-night to them.
● Have your child turn off electronic devices well before bedtime.
● Try to have the home as quiet and calm as possible when younger
children are trying to fall asleep.
● Insufficient sleep is associated with lower academic achievement in
middle school, high school and college, as well as higher rates of
absenteeism and tardiness.
● Be active during the day but don’t overschedule
● Keep a safe bedroom environment – no video games, reading, electronics
● Don’t put infants/toddlers to bed with a bottle
● Put children to bed awake and it is ok to have security objects to help
● Recognize any sleep problems – snoring, sleep apnea
PLEASE JOIN US